Story of Indian Women Cricketer 'Mithali Raj'
Mithali Raj was born on 3rd Dec 1982. She is an Indian cricketer and test, ODI captain of women's national cricket team. She is a right-handed opening batter and occasional right-arm leg-break bowler. Fans usually called her lady Sachin. She is famous for being the highest run-scorer in women's international cricket. On 3rd Sep she announced her retirement from T20s international. Her jersey number is 3. Her domestic/state team was Air India Women, Railways, Asia Women XI, Indian Blue Women. Her Coach/Mentor was Jyoti Prasad, Sampath Kumar, Vinod Sharma, R.S.R Murthy. She is a right-handed player and her bowling style is Legbreak. Her favorite shot-cover drive.
RECORDS (Main Ones)
Mithali held the record for the highest individual score by an Indian Woman Cricketer in a World Cup match (91 not out off 104 deliveries which included 9 fours) against New Zealand in the Women's world cup 2005. Harmanpreet Kaur overtook Raj by scoring a century (107 from 109 balls) in the second match of ICC Women's World Cup 2013 against England. Mithali is nicknamed "Lady Tendulkar of Indian Women's cricket", as she is currently the all-time leading run-scorer for India in all formats, including Tests, ODIs, and T20Is. During the 2017 Women's world cup, Raj scored her seventh consecutive half-century and made a record for most consecutive fifties by a player. Mithali is the 1st Indian and 5th woman cricketer overall to score over 1,000 World Cup runs. She holds the record for playing the most consecutive women's one-day international for a team (109). Mithali held the record for the highest individual score by an Indian Woman Cricketer in a World Cup match(91 not out off 104 deliveries which included 9 fours) against New Zealand in the women's world cup 2005.
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS 2003
- Arjuna Award 2015
- Padma Shri 2015
- Wisden Indian Cricketer Of The Year 2017
- Youth Sport icon of Excellence award at the Radiant Conclaves, Chennai 2017
- Vogue's Sportsperson of the year 2017 - Lited on BBC 100 Women's List
Mithali Raj was born on 3 December 1982 in a Tamil family in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Her father is Dorai Raj, who was an Airman (Warrant Officer) in the Indian Air Force, and his mother is Leela Raj. Raj started to play the game at age of 10. She lives in Hyderabad, Telangana. She attended Keyes High School for Girls in Hyderabad. She attended Kasturba Gandhi Junior College for Women in Secunderabad for her intermediate studies. She started cricket coaching in her school days along with her elder brother.
1. Initially a dancer: Before cricket, Mithali was into classical dancing. During her childhood and teenage days, she learned Bharatnatyam and wanted to make her name in the same field. But it seems she was destined for something else and later she became one of the most successful players of the Indian women’s cricket team.
2. Lazy girl: Cricket was never Mithali’s first choice, in fact, it was never on her to-do list. Her parents introduced Mithali to cricket because she was very lazy and since her father was an officer in Indian Air Force, he wanted his daughter to be disciplined and active. In an interview with BCCI, Mithali said, “From the beginning, I played cricket only to make my parents happy.”
3. If not a cricketer: In an interview with SportsKeeda, Mithali revealed what she would have been if not a cricketer and quipped, “I would have been in civil services. Though I loved Bharatanatyam and pursued it quite seriously, I would have loved to get into the civil services.” After the 2017 women's world cup, Viacom 18 motion pictures acquired the rights to make a feature film on Raj's life. She said "Hoping that this movie inspires more people, especially young girls to take up sports as a career." The biopic is in planning and the shoot is scheduled to start in 2019. Raj said "I think Priyanka Chopra will be a great choice (to play me in the biopic). Our personalities match a lot. I am not a movie buff, so I'd love the experts to do their job." However, finally, it was decided that Tapsee Pannu will play the role of Mithali Raj in the biopic named Shabaash Mithu. It will be directed by Rahul Dholakia in 2020.
Read More Latest Bollywood Movie Reviews & News
Read More Sports News, Cricket News
Read More Latest Mobile, Laptop News & Review